May the Peace of Christ be with you as we return to Ordinary Time.
Here we go with another set of weekly news items to assist your ministry with pertinent information and formation. Here we go!
- From the business side of the world, Fast Company has recently explored Six Common Beliefs about Productivity that are Total Lies. I am confident that if it was written from the youth ministry perspective, it might include that extensive time on social networking or gaming sites does not really count as “accompaniment” of young disciples
- For those of us who think fondly back to the earlier Spiderman movies, the line “With great power comes great Responsibility” was often a teaching point. (See Video ) Recently, another business author, Seth Godin, offered a new take on the Spiderman Paradox. First and foremost, consider what this message means FOR YOU. And, then, I invite you to respond to the same challenge that I have set for myself – transforming this message into some final words for our Confirmation candidates who, about to receive great power, must rise to great responsibility
- Whew! Back to youth ministry, amIright? Youth Specialties is offering a prognostication regarding Five Youth Ministry trends for 2019. I was especially challenged by the last two- “Teaching them how to Care” and “From Bounded to Centered.
What if we saw the Church with Jesus at the center instead of Jesus as “boundaries” to get into the club? What if the boundaries that existed were more about proximity to the center than just some ideas of rules we think students need to follow in order to be “in”? The consequences of this is far reaching.
- The SEEK2019 conference, sponsored by Focus, concluded recently in Indianapolis. On YouTube, you can find an extensive treasure trove of videos for your own spiritual journey and/or your programming.
- This week’s LINK TO SHARE WITH PARENTS comes from Jenna Scott who writes at Parent Cue about Guiltless Lessons of Love.
Although I had aimed to set an example and to be a teacher in that moment, I was the one learning the lesson. Teaching our kids to love others starts with us. And it’s something we will always be learning and re-learning together.
- Finally, here is a story that is making us happy this week. Barry Corey, President of Biola University, an evangelical Christian college in California, had a “selfie” moment with Justin Bieber who was hanging out at the valet stand singing Marvin Gaye’s classic “Sexual Healing.” Here’s the Christianity Today coverage of this moment of encounter
God bless you for all that you are doing to serve the Lord and ministering to our next generations.