The Jail Fundraiser is one of those fundraisers that does far more than raising money. It's a ton a fun, draws in the entire parish community, and it doesn't ever really get old.
To start, this fundraiser only really works if it's part of a larger parish event like a parish bazaar.
Set up a space designated as "the jail" where people will be able to sit when they are arrested. It should be able to hold roughly 10-12 people comfortably. People will pay you to have someone else arrested for a set amount of time. You will issue the warrant and the arrested individual will have three options; 1) serve their time, 2) pay to not be arrested, or 3) counter-arrest (post bail and have the person who arrested them be arrested instead).
It's really that simple! Here's our list of tips:
- Borrow a large kennel or something to make the jail even more real
- Purchase or borrow police outfits, handcuffs, etc. to make the experience even more real.
- Ensure there are little information signs all over that explain the process
- Put a limit on how many times an individual can be arrested.
- Offer something fun to do in the jail (reading, facts about prisons, etc.)
- To keep track of finances well, have an adult manage the jail and the log, require warrants for arrest, etc.
Arrest Warrant - should include the name of the person arrested, who arrested them, cost, and the three options for the arrested person.
Jail Log - keeps track of finances, arrests, etc.
I'll be putting together a package of resources very soon to make available in the Marketplace. Stay posted!